Wednesday, January 18, 2012

BC and Arts Park


(From Saturday, been sick)

I started out by going to Bicentennial Park in Provo. This is the first disc golf course I can remember going to in Utah County. It used to have a full 18 holes, but construction (or whatever) closed off the northern half. Now it's down to 6 holes (or maybe less) It's pretty confusing. You can see one basket from the first tee (hey, look, it's an actual concrete pad!) but there's a 2nd one a little farther. Then you go to the 2nd tee pad, and it looks like 2 different baskets you can shoot for. Who cares? For me, it's all about tee #3. The above shot is taken from that one. It's hard to tell, but it's a higher elevation shot. The ground goes down into a valley and then back up where the basket is. I mean, was. Turns out they removed it so people could sled down the hill. To make matters worse, there was a group of 6 guys on the course "improvising" as they went.

Normally, I'm all for improvising in the face of certain confusion. Before we knew there were official courses, my buddies would design bizarro courses - under the park bench, off the light pole, through the basketball hoop, land on the table, done! But these guys were just randomly wandering around, getting in my flightpath. After discovering that the basket for hole #3 was gone, I gave up.

I've been avoiding going to Arts Park in Springville since the summer ended because the high school is just south of it. Since I didn't get my fill from BC Park, though, it's only a couple of miles away. This course has posts with a little faded sign showing where the basket is. (Useful in a couple of places) and a Par listed. Now, either I am getting REALLY good, or I judge par on the Riverview course a lot harder than it should be. One of these was listed as a Par 5, and I got it in 3. My end result for the course was a -5. I didn't get to do hole #1, though, because the flightpath is directly over the playground, with lots of kids (and parents) present. Too bad, because it does have a little elevation. I had a picture from a previous outing, but it's not letting me upload it. Maybe next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment