Thursday, February 23, 2012

Fenced in

Holy Hannah, it was cold today! The wind chill made it feel extra cold.  (41 degrees, plus the wind) Wore my knit hat and only took 2 discs with me - the Boss and the Buzzz. Talked to my dad while I was playing half the course. He says he's practicing and is going to beat me next time he comes out here, that his accuracy will top my distance. After today's game, I think he might be right. The wind just makes things so unpredictable.

Yesterday, it mostly seemed to help my flights. Today, not so much. One of my drives got some A-May-Zing distance, but about 60 degrees to the right of where I wanted it. On the marsh hole, I was attempting to have it hang a little to the right, but the wind made it curve a lot to the right, so that I ended up in this not enviable position.


I'm not entirely sure what the real purpose for this structure is. It kind of looks like a backstop for baseball, except that it's the only feature in the field. (There's no mound, for example.)  I've seen people golfing (you know, the mundane kind, with clubs and a ball) into it, despite the signs that say not to. And, of course, kids climb on it. You can't really see it from here, but just beyond this dome-y fence is the aforementioned marsh. I didn't think I could reasonably get around the fence and over the hazard on one shot, so I threw a setup that put me directly on the other side of it, but still not actually close enough to the marsh to make it easy to get over it. The Buzzz got picked up by the wind and careened off into the grove of trees right by the pole. I threw the Boss, too, on a high arc and it went up and came back down .... in the mud right next to the marsh. Ugh.

Here's a close-up of the Buzzz so you can see the markings on it better. I guess the colors don't really matter all that much (but this one is pretty cool) except that the Champion plastic Innova discs are pretty sweet. There's a slightly translucent quality that looks sharp in the air. Unfortunately, the Champion discs tend to be heavier. I've got my eye on one for my next disc, though. (Jon strokes his chin, where his beard used to be. He's sure it would have kept him warmer today.)


Unsurprisingly, there was no one on the course today. One small bit of comfort.

Oh, and I got to meet a co-worker's dog today! It was easily the best time I've had at work in a long time.


No comments:

Post a Comment