Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Quest Defender

My new disc arrived and I got to try it out today. It's an ultralight made by Quest and it's called the Defender. It's only 126 grams, orange, and has these dimples, like a golf ball. (I'm not sure if the dimples impact the flight pattern or just make it really easy to grip.) It flies pretty nicely, although .... there are some issues with it that I'll highlight below.

The Good:

It's super light and so it's easy to throw. I even had a moderate amount of success side-arming it, but I'll admit that I haven't practiced that kind of throw very much. It had an awesome roll over the tennis court, better than any disc I've ever tried it with. (But can it roll in place?) Here's what it looks like, dangerously close to the pole.
Yes, there is someone's knit hat there by the pole, and it's not mine.

The Bad:

I don't know why a company that makes a product like this would make this decision, but there was a sticker with disc information stuck to the back of the disc. Something like "Thrown with a slight hyzer, should fly straight and long." with a barcode. But it's not one of those easy to remove stickers, nooooOOOO. After my best attempts, it looks like this.

Now I'm going to have to soak the thing to remove the rest of it. It's also very slightly warped, and I'm not sure what to do about that. I guess I can play with it, see if I can warp it back straight, or mess it up completely.

The UGLY:

The worst throw of the day doesn't belong to the Defender, though. On the marshy hole, I'm always very careful to plan my throw so that I don't end up IN the marsh. My plans do not always work out. (Note to self: NEED to get myself one of those golden retriever things.) Here's where my driver ended up.

Yeah, that bit of red in the middle, probably about 10 feet from "solid" ground. Now, one thing going for me was that it landed on a frozen ice surface instead of sinking underwater. And, I was able to find a long twig that I used to coax it back to me. Took probably 10 minutes maneuvering around the vegetation. Didn't even bother with the pole afterwards. Next!

I noticed with the Defender that I had an easier time snapping my wrist to flick it with greater spin and so that probably helped the distance on a few shots. It even outdistanced my driver on a couple of shots (where I threw the Archangel particularly poorly) I'll have to see how it does once properly cleaned up.

Note: The man with the wheelchair was not at the park today.

No comments:

Post a Comment