Tuesday, May 15, 2012

A body at rest tends to stay at rest

I am so not looking forward to this blog topic. My opinion about my body and how comfortable I am with it. Yuck.

I am fat. I suppose this is an opinion. The "fact" is that I am morbidly obese. I am not comfortable with this. (Ok, I'm done, can I go now?)

It's pretty easy to see how it happened. I did a lot of walking and bicycling when I was in my early to mid-twenties, so it balanced out against the horrible diet I was on, where I pretty much subsisted on burgers and fries and pizza. (I don't think I was alone in this.) At some point after I was married, I started driving to work (because it wasn't in walking distance.) This was probably my first downfall - losing the regular exercise. My job didn't help, sitting in front of a computer all day. I didn't recognize the change at the time, but I'm sure that's where I started putting on weight.

It's the gradual change that you don't want to admit is happening. Your pants are too snug so you end up wearing elastic shorts to minimize noticing it. You need longer shirts to be able to tuck them in. So, yeah, not happy about where I am. At my heaviest, probably a year ago, I was up to 315. In the past year, I've taken up regular exercise again, not working out, but playing disc golf 5 days a week for about 30 minutes each day. I've also tried to be good about making healthy choices for what I eat. I'm not religious about it, just mindful.

I'm trying out a health supplement for the next 3 months that's supposed to bring my lipid numbers into shape. It's a super-dose of Niacin at its core and is supposed to bring down my triglycerides and raise my good cholesterol. Surprisingly, I've always had good numbers for the bad cholesterol, even though my diet wouldn't suggest it. I eat an egg almost every day, burgers, bacon. It must be a genetic factor keeping it down. Bringing the other numbers back to a more normal state should help me lose weight more efficiently and may make me feel better in general.

When I dream of myself in the future, I am not fat, but rather quite fit. I see myself as a runner, which is a little bit odd. When I was a teenager, I would run for fun just to let off some steam, but I haven't done any sort of running since becoming an adult. Why can't I dream myself as a swimmer?

I'll have to wait and see. Until then, gotta go, gotta throw!



No comments:

Post a Comment