Thursday, May 24, 2012

Future Imperfect

I have a real problem (uh-oh, here we go again) with imagining the future. It's not that I can't imagine what it might be like (hovercars, exoskeletons, wireless electricity) is that I just don't think about my own personal future.

I've been at my current job for 6 years. Each year, I can't imagine myself being here for another year. It's too depressing - oh, I'm going to be here, doing the same thing I am now, different frustrations, different people to deal with, same stress level. I can basically look forward to seasonal changes - can't wait for summer, can't wait for winter to be over.

This has been a very long standing deal for me. I always assumed I would go to college, for example, but I never thought about it, what I should study, what I would end up doing with the knowledge I gained. I just sort of fell into it. I can think of at least one other situation that I didn't really plan for and just fell into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment