Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Gun Seller

The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie is a really fun and humorous take on espionage fiction.

The Gun Seller on Amazon

Yes, Hugh Laurie is more well known these days for House, MD, and more in the early days for his sketch comedy and Jeeves and Wooster. He must have really wanted to write a book and inject his own dry wit into it, because the result is something incredible.

I'll admit: the plot is a little hard to follow at first. I'm not sure if it's because I'm not British and it's peppered with all sorts of British vocabulary usage and it may be intentionally convoluted. I wouldn't call it a spoof, really. It is a serious plot, but it definitely pokes fun at spy-novel tropes and even general-fiction rules. In the end, it's a book I recommend to just about everyone, with a mild warning about language.

No comments:

Post a Comment