Saturday, May 12, 2012

Familes are Forever Complicated

I haven't ever tried to create a graphical representation of my family tree, but I'm sure it would look more like a jungle than anything else. My dad has 2 full sisters, 2 older brothers from a different mother and three younger brothers from a different father. There are 7 marriages between my mom and my dad (one of those was to each other.)

I grew up with a batch of cousins who were my grandfather's 2nd wife's grandchildren. I'm sure Ancestry.com has a proper name for this, but for me, they were "cousins." The three younger brothers of my dad, one of whom was only a couple years older than me, felt more like cousins than uncles. Then, when I got married, I in-lawed a whole cast of characters. Oh, and I have a couple of best friends who married each other, and they are practically family to me.

I guess in the end, I have a fairly loose definition of family because of all of this. If we're meant to be together in the eternities, each of us an intersection of cross threads in a majestic fabric, I don't see why we can't adopt people as family even when there's no legal precedent for it. So there. =P

No comments:

Post a Comment