Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The only thing to fear is fear itself. And rabbits with really sharp, pointy teeth.

I think I discovered with my Problems post that I'm kind of neurotic. Not quite Monk-level, but still...

I have a few things I'm afraid of, and it's definitely gotten worse as I've gotten older. I wasn't afraid of heights when I was a kid (used to climb tall trees), but now I am. I'm ok if I'm in a safe environment, like a building or airplane, but if there's an element of danger of falling, then it kicks in - like a roller coaster, or climbing the steps of a lighthouse. I used to enjoy thunderstorms in Florida (we had enough of them), but now I'm really scared of lightning. If I have to drive in it (which I will avoid if I can), I grip the wheel hard enough to get white knuckles. Ironically, I'm probably safer in a car with insulated rubber tires.

I know this is common, but I really dread public speaking. I know I can do it, but there's something about it ...

Oh, and of course, I'm anxious around children. Fearful isn't quite the right feeling, but they are panic-inducing nonetheless. (That is such a weird word.)

I don't know if I'm afraid of dying, exactly, as much as nearly dying, but living. Losing a limb or sight or hearing (worse than sight, in some respects) terrifies me. My absolute worst fear right at the moment is that something will happen to my wife and I'll be left alone to care for my children by myself. Even typing that makes me a little squeamish.

There's an old joke that the only thing people fear more than dying is public speaking. So, if you're at a funeral, you'd rather be in the coffin than giving the eulogy.

No comments:

Post a Comment